Krakow – Poland
Population Group Targeted
Healthy children and adolescents from low SES.
(age : 1-16)
PRESENTATION OF THE AREA AND ITS RELEVANCE
- Krakow is the second largest Polish city with a population of 800.000 inhabitants.
- Nowa Huta district: 18th district of Krakow where 25% of the city population lives, strong working class history, relatively limited access to financial capital and cultural resources.In Poland:
- Poland has the highest rate of rising childhood overweight and obesity in the EU and needs prevention programmes going beyond individual responsibility.
– Overweight: children (1-3 years): 10%; early school-age: 30%; adolescents: 22%.
– Obesity: boys (13%); girls (5%).
- Poverty in Poland: 4,2% (extreme) 6,5% (statutory) 12% (relative).